Westport Lions Roar
By Lion Jim Scala
Another year for the Lions of Westport Cash Calendar! We would like to thank those who have purchased our calendars in the past. Your support enables us to fulfil our mandate “To Serve”.
The funds from this lottery are used for programs and organizations that enhance:
- Youth mental and physical development;
- Seniors’ mental and physical well being;
- Relief of pain, suffering and financial hardship due to illness or disaster;
- Purposes beneficial to the community.
The 2019 issue of the Cash Calendar has several changes. The improvements are clearer pictures, increased number and amount of prizes, larger day blocks for more notes, list of holidays and sponsors’ directory. Some of you might recognize the sharper and larger historical pictures including, 1980-81 Westport League Champions, Rideau King steam boat at Newboro, 1924 Westport Public School students (with many recognizable names), earlier pictures of Main Street with the Westport Hotel, Gypsy Road Show, vintage cars in front of the bank and the 1933-34 Westport Hockey Club members.
The total prize money has been increased to $10,900 with three additional $500 prize days for a total of five $500 prizes as well as $1000 on New Years Day. See below for details.
In spite of increased production costs, the price stays the same, $20 for each calendar, or six for $100. The main reason we are able to sell the calendars at the same price is the support of our local business sponsors, who provide additional income through their advertising. Please review their ads and note the directory with numbers at the back of each calendar.
Again this year, the calendars are available from any Lion member and these local businesses: Westport Home Hardware, New Beginnings, Village Pharmacy and The Country Kitchen Restaurant.
As in the past, all winning numbers are returned to the draw giving everyone multiple chances to win, so far this year, after 33 weeks, 17 calendar numbers have won twice.
Below is listed the operating conditions of the draw as listed on the back pages of the calendars.
1) Draw of winning numbers will be held weekly using a random number selector supervised by at least two Lion members.
2) Winning numbers will be re-entered for subsequent draws.
3) Prizes will be awarded for every day except Sunday.
4) Daily prizes $20 Mon. to Fri., $40 Sat. except: New Years $1000, Family Day $500, Victoria Day $500,
Canada Day $500, Thanksgiving Day $500, Lions Santa Parade Day $500 and each Sat. in Dec. $100.
5) Prize amounts will be determined by those printed on the calendar.
6) Only 1250 Calendars are printed, the draw will be based on the actual number sold.
7) All prize cheques will be forwarded by mail.
8) Winners will be announced weekly on the Westport Lions Web site, http://www.westportlions.ca, Westport Lions Facebook page and The Review-Mirror.
9) This charity fundraiser is authorized under Lottery License # M80109
Wishing you good luck in 2019.
Chair of Calendar Committee, 2019.F