The Lions Club operates vans to take Westport and Elgin area residents to doctors’ and medical appointments.
Call 613-273-5789 to make a reservation.
How it works:
1. Call the club’s answering service (613-273-5789) to request a ride at least seven days before the appointment. This message should include the client’s name, civic address, phone number and the date, time and location of the appointment and whether the client has mobility requirements.
2. The system automatically forwards an email to the dispatcher with a voice file attached.
3. The dispatcher registers the request on a spreadsheet and if necessary calls the client to get more details.
4. About seven days before the appointment, the dispatcher sends an email to all drivers with the request details.
5. A volunteer driver agrees to the transportation assignment.
6. The driver calls the client to confirm and arrange details of pickup.
The system works best if the clients give the Lions Club at least seven days’ notice. The system is designed for scheduled medical appointments only, and people with limited transportation options. We cannot respond to medical emergencies and any other special transportation requests. We can only offer the service on weekdays and cannot make any side trips other than to a pharmacy to fill a prescription.
In the event we cannot fulfill a request, we will try to notify the client at least 48 hours in advance so they can make alternative arrangements.
Our generous donors
Westport Lions Mobility Service is made possible through the generous donations of the Elgin Lions Club, our clients, the spring breakfast put on by The Cove, the Adrain family, Byran Colford, and memorial gifts. For information about making a donation to the mobility van, see our donations page.
Volunteering with the mobility van
The demand for our mobility van service has steadily increased over the years. If you are interested in being a volunteer driver, please call 613-273-5789 and leave a message or email us at email@example.com.